Communications Director – For Our Future
For Our Future and For Our Future Action Fund, collectively “FOF,” are seeking a National Communications Director to design, implement, and manage an innovative communications and digital program, as an integrated part of the overall campaign strategy. This program will include cutting-edge communications and digital strategies -- to engage and mobilize people and partners on progressive issues and values for issue fights and electoral wins.
FOF is a coalition organization that aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people on progressive issues and values. Founded in 2016, FOF has four core progressive values: a passion for social and racial justice, economic prosperity for all, protecting the environment, and a commitment to public education. In 2017, FOF will continue to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off our 2016 campaign, FOF will continue its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on bolstering both field and communications infrastructure. Our goal is to turn communicators into connectors, engage communities in policy fights, and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.
For Our Future Action Fund is a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future PAC is an allied federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively.
The Communications Director will report to the Campaigns Director, and work closely with the Field Director, Political Director, and the leads for Training and Data & Analytics. The Communications Director will develop and manage a team in the HQ, oversee all related vendor and/or consultant relationships, and will work directly with the Communications Directors and teams in states.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Managing the national and state based communications and digital teams
- Developing and implementing strategic and innovative communications and digital strategies
- Driving the communications and digital programs in support of the electoral and issue campaigns
- Preparing reports and other content to share accomplishments
- Creating a feedback loop for state and national priorities, best practices, messaging, and content
Specific Responsibilities may include:
- Building a national communications team to meet ambitious communications and digital organizing goals nationally and in local markets where FOF operates;
- Developing an in-depth knowledge around state-specific issues and how those issues impact relevant races;
- Applying organizing principles to communications and digital strategy;
- Identifying and cultivating communications avenues and new messengers, and creating compelling content issues with a decidedly local bent;
- Working with the State Communications Directors to ensure that communications materials, communicators, and assets are in step with overall strategic plan and goals;
- Seeking out creative placement strategies, adapting to shifting voices, assisting volunteers in creating language in their own voice as part of short- and long-term communications;
- Assessing the communications reach -- towards the goal of building greater message delivery capacity at the granular level;
- Monitoring social media and new local digital channels from across the political and non-political spectrum and providing guidance to volunteers, other organizations and validators on how to rapidly address or respond to attacks on progressives as they develop online or traditional media;
- Working with State Communications Directors to identify local stories that can or should be nationalized;
- Helping progressive organizations across the state to implement a combined, coordinated, and effective communications calendar;
- Creating memos, talking points, op-eds, social media and web content that is connective within varied communities and working with volunteers from those communities to ensure that the right tone is struck under tight deadlines;
- Continuously assessing social media landscape and identifying key messengers across all social platforms.
Qualifications (in no particular order):
- At least seven years of experience in a communications capacity on a campaign (political and/or issue) or in a similar environment;
- A successful record of developing and implementing complex communications and public relations strategies including campaign experience;
- Experience working in and/or managing communications programs for multi-state organizations or on campaigns in a variety of states;
- Demonstrated background in media and communications planning and a proficiency in leveraging social and traditional media platforms for maximum local and national exposure;
- Significant leadership and management experience with experience supervising communications professionals and building and aligning a communications team;
- A deep desire to do things differently than our movement has done in the past;
- Creativity in message delivery, ability to look at communications challenges differently, and respond with innovative solutions;
- A passion for progressive causes and advocating and communicating authentic stories about what folks are going through within our community;
- Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly, and a willingness to take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve;
- Good judgment in high-pressure situations;
- Experience working on projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong verbal communications and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a busy office with personal enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FOF offers a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience and expertise.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
- $100 Monthly Cell Phone Bill Reimbursement
- 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holidays
Submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.