Virginia Coordinated Campaign Director
Virginia Democratic Party
The Virginia Democratic Party (VDP) seeks an experienced and strategic Coordinated Campaign Director to manage the 2019 coordinated campaign in one of two states with legislative elections next year.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented campaign professional to gain leadership experience in what will be a key battleground state in the 2020 presidential election. The makeup of both legislative bodies hangs in the balance; Republicans currently have slight advantages of 21-19 in the State Senate and 51-49 in the House of Delegates.
Under the leadership of Governor Ralph Northam, the party is coming off a record-breaking year with the election of three new Democratic women members of Congress. In June, the Governor signed a bill which will expand Medicaid for over 400,000 Virginians. Democrats can build on that progress by securing the majorities in the House and Senate for the first time in two decades.
The ideal candidate is an experienced campaigner with a history of working with a diverse set of allies. The Director should have campaign management experience with caucus programs as well as state legislative campaigns. The Director will be a persuasive communicator who can manage political relationships across the state.
A team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment, the Director will be a skilled strategist who can help Democrats win in a complex political environment.
- Develop and implement the 2019 coordinated campaign plan by engaging local and state stakeholders, party leaders, elected officials and candidates.
- Oversee the coordinated campaign program, including managing day-to-day operations.
- Create staffing plans and manage coordinated campaign staff.
- Engage partners and allies to integrate programs and volunteer capacity into the coordinated campaign.
- Develop and manage the coordinated campaign budget.
- Partner with compliance staff to ensure that the coordinated campaign follows state campaign finance rules and regulations.
- Facilitate party efforts on constituency outreach and constituency caucus coordination.
- Work with party leaders, elected officials and candidates on an ongoing basis to execute the campaign plan.
- At least 5 years’ experience on political and/or advocacy campaigns, strong preference given to state legislative campaign experience.
- Record of working with elected officials and candidates on electoral strategies.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and build relationships with diverse group of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skill at setting and communicating priorities.
- Significant experience managing staff and volunteers.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Working knowledge of VAN and other targeting and analytic tools preferred.
- Virginia campaign experience preferred.
Compensation, Benefits and Location
The position is funded through December 2019 and will be based in Richmond, Virginia. Frequent travel within the state is required. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Virginia Democratic Party is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.