Director of Operations
Grossman Heinz, a public affairs firm, is seeking a strategic and entrepreneurial Director of Operations based in Hartford, Connecticut.
The Director of Operations will be responsible for ensuring that Grossman Heinz continues to innovate and adapt in order to most effectively achieve its financial goals. The Director of Operations will also be responsible for managing the company’s internal operating systems.
The Director of Operations will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities of the company.
The Director will also evaluate, improve and manage the company’s administrative systems including human resources and information technology.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a thoughtful and strategic professional to play a key role in a growing company. The Director of Operations will be a confident and capable leader who can adapt in a fast-paced, changing environment.
Grossman Heinz is a public affairs firm specializing in campaigns, government relations, grassroots mobilization, lobbying and executive search. Our clients include advocacy groups, non-profit organizations, labor unions, trade associations, political candidates and corporations.
Founded by Andrew Grossman and Christopher Heinz, the Grossman Heinz team brings decades of experience in electoral, issue and organizing campaigns to our work. Our approach reflects the best of what we learned on those campaigns: agility, creativity and responsiveness.
We believe in being a true hands-on partner to each of our clients. Every account is closely managed by one of our principals, supported by our smart, insightful staff.
A few of our past and current clients include: NARAL Pro-Choice America, Access Health CT, Governor Ralph Northam of Virginia, Connecticut Attorney General William Tong, United Brotherhood of Carpenters, MGM and the Human Rights Campaign.
We have eight full-time staff working in Connecticut and Washington, DC, as well as a number of part-time staff and consultants.
- Manage all employee benefits programs including payroll, health care and 401K.
- Ensure the necessary technology, security protocols and office infrastructure are in place to support a growing organization.
- Serve as the liaison with vendors and service providers.
- Maintain strong relationships with staff, identify their needs and provide business solutions to meet them.
- Evaluate and establish human resources policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws.
- Support business development.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the financial and accounting functions of the company.
- Evaluate short- and long-term strategic financial objectives, including the impact of introducing new clients and infrastructure.
- Manage processes for financial forecasting, budgets and consolidation and reporting to the principals.
- Ensure full transparency over the financial performance of the company.
- Manage financial controls and accounting procedures.
- Oversee bookkeeper and accounting firm functions.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial plans and reports for the partners.
- Provide recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Responsible for invoicing and billing
- 8+ years in progressively responsible financial and administrative leadership roles.
- Strong management experience overseeing finance, human resources, and operations.
- Experience with financial forecasting, budgeting and reporting along with a record of success implementing strategic goals and priorities across a company.
- Strategic, analytical and tactical thinking skills, with a demonstrated capacity to successfully problem solve, plan, and facilitate growth.
- Track record of building authentic and respectful relationships with all colleagues within a company.
- High level of professional integrity, positive demeanor and a sense of humor.
- Strong interest in politics, government, civic life and curiosity about current events and the world.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a diverse set of political, nonprofit and corporate clients.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, QuickBooks and other financial software platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise and compelling and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Grossman Heinz does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Location
The position is located in Hartford, Connecticut. Salary commensurate with experience.