Chief Executive Officer – Civic Nation
Chief Executive Officer – Civic Nation
Civic Nation seeks a bold, strategic, entrepreneurial Chief Executive Officer to lead a young and rapidly growing organization that houses some of the country’s most innovative large-scale public awareness, public policy, and organizing initiatives for collective impact and the public good. Civic Nation is building movements to change the country – from the ground up.
The CEO will provide vision, leadership, strategy, and oversight of an organization at the nexus of cutting-edge grassroots organizing, communications, and policy development. Working with an innovative and supportive governing board, the CEO will lead Civic Nation to achieve greater levels of impact and chart the future direction of this unique organization for years to come.
The CEO will be responsible for leading the organization’s strategic direction, overseeing day-to-day operations, expanding fundraising opportunities, and curating organizational growth. The CEO will lead a team of seasoned policy experts, community organizers, campaigners, educators, and creatives who have united to empower people to take action for the greater good.
The ideal candidate is a confident leader who exemplifies the organization’s core values of unity, compassion, innovation, and action and brings experience developing and working with high-performing teams. The CEO must be a collaborative leader, exceptional communicator, and calculated risk taker who will guide Civic Nation as it as it moves beyond a startup and into a more mature organization.
Civic Nation leverages bold and creative campaigns to connect, engage and mobilize people to solve some our nation’s most pressing social, civic, and economic problems. As a non-partisan nonprofit, Civic Nation works with public and private partners committed to educational access and success, gender equality, civic engagement, and fighting hate and discrimination.
Each Civic Nation initiative is a grassroots effort—locally designed and supported to make a national impact on pressing social issues. Current campaigns include: ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, College Promise Campaign, It’s On Us, United State of Women, and #VoteTogether.
A key piece of Civic Nation’s work is its groundbreaking Creative Alliance, a collaboration of creative and communication experts who use their powers to capture people’s attention and spark action. The Creative Alliance includes 80 + companies devoting pro-bono capacity to develop world-class strategies and activations that fuel Civic Nation’s initiatives.
Civic Nation has a staff of 30 people across the country, including offices in Washington, DC, New York, Silicon Valley, and Los Angeles.
- Model and promote Civic Nation’s mission, vision, and strong organizational culture
- Lead and oversee annual and long-term strategic planning and goal-setting process to achieve Civic Nation’s goals and set the future direction of the organization
- Manage key relationships with the governing board, executive leadership team, staff and external stakeholders to ensure strategies are aligned to achieve the organization's highest priorities
- Develop and implement a fundraising strategy to develop new and expand existing funder relationships
- Lead and support a highly accomplished and successful executive team, with the ability to motivate and develop talent at all levels of the organization
- Elevate the Civic Nation brand and increase national recognition of the organization
- Oversee the execution of the organization’s day-to-day operations, including strategic financial decision-making and management, reporting and compliance
- Serve as the organization’s internal leader and external ambassador with funders, partner organizations, media and other important stakeholders
- Provide added value to each campaign with regard to vision, fundraising, strategic coaching
- Collaborate with staff on goal setting, monitoring, and achieving individual campaign and department priorities
- Evaluate, develop and support new campaigns
- Minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible work experience
- A record of success in senior-level positions in the nonprofit, corporate or government sectors
- High-level strategic planning skills, including an understanding of organizational, campaign, political and policy elements
- Demonstrated ability to work in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced setting; experience in flexible and innovative environments is a plus
- Track record of success in fundraising and donor relations
- Excellence in staff management with the ability to develop, coach, and manage high-performing teams
- Track record of successful innovation, creative problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience with financial oversight and management of operations
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Effective and persuasive communication skills, both oral and written, and especially in public speaking
- Experience working in a start-up or high-growth organization
- Belief that culture change is necessary to build movements and create long-term change
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Civic Nation is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Civic Nation will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.