National Civic Engagement Nonprofit (Confidential)
A non-partisan, large-scale coordinated civic engagement campaign that aims to create a more representative democracy by registering millions of underrepresented voters across the country seeks a Program Director. The campaign will center their efforts through 2020 with a focus on voter registration using methods that will build capacity for voter registration programs in the long term and shape best practices for the entire field of voter registration.
The campaign directly funds organizations who execute smart, targeted voter registration drives. Working with their partners, the campaign is conducting at-scale, effective, efficient, metrics-driven work that will drive down the cost per net vote and ensure the highest levels of quality control.
The campaign is committed to being authentic and active partners with state and local organizations to ensure their programs are effective and to promote an investment in the future of emerging communities.
The campaign seeks a high-level field and voter registration expert who brings significant management experience to serve as Program Director. The Program Director will oversee the various registration programs, conduct outreach to national partners, and manage five program managers. The Program Director must be able to collaborate with multiple organizations, vendors, funders, campaign consultants, and staff to achieve large registration goals over the next two years. The Program Director will be part of a centralized staff that will grow as support needs from the field increase. Reporting to the Campaign Director, the ideal candidate should have extensive experience running large-scale field campaigns, be a thoughtful and dedicated manager, and possess outstanding organizational skills.
The Program Director will:
- Manage and mentor a team of five program managers who oversee partner relationships and registration program development in multiple states
- Develop and design multi-million dollars budgets in multiple states
- Lead the program team in drafting state plans to reach program goals
- Establish, review and approve agreements with partners
- Oversee development of quality control standards for the program
- Design and manage a system for regular reporting of key evaluation metrics to board and donors
- Identify emerging opportunities for additional partnerships
- Lead the effort to continue strengthening the diversity and capacity of the program team
- Experience leading large-scale field programs, direct voter contact programs or large-scale voter registration programs
- Past success as a manager of people and program
- Experience in the progressive infrastructure at the state or national level
- Excellence in staff management with the ability to develop, coach, and manage teams
- Commitment to the idea of changing the nature of the electorate
- Experience working on long-term investment in communities that make up the underrepresented New American Majority
- Commitment to voter registration as a key component for making progressive policy change
- Knowledge of the differences and unique roles of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations within the civic engagement arena
- Commitment to testing, research, and the importance of data in driving and increasing effectiveness and efficiency in voter registration programs
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Commitment to promoting practices that encourage empowerment for traditionally marginalized individuals and communities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate diplomatically and effectively with stakeholders
This would be a great opportunity for someone who:
- Brings experience working with groups that connect with traditionally underrepresented communities, expand their share of the electorate, and build empowerment and leadership within the communities
- Has multiple years of experience in politics, civic engagement, business, or non-profits
- Excels at managing high-performing staff, including creating leadership growth opportunities
- Understands both national and state structures of the progressive infrastructure and coalition partners
- Held field or engagement leadership positions at: a national or state campaign; an advocacy, issue, or campaign state table; or a national organization
- Respects community organizations
- Has an abundance of patience and a great sense of humor
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including excellent health benefits and generous vacation and leave policies.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be the right person for this position.
The campaign embraces principles of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or transgender or veteran status. The campaign strongly encourages people of color, women, and bilingual candidates to apply and is an equal opportunity employer.