Planned Parenthood of Southern New England is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as its first Chief External Affairs Officer.
The mission of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England (PPSNE) is to protect the fundamental right of all individuals to manage their own fertility and sexual health, and to ensure access to the services, education, and information to realize that right.
PPSNE provides a wide range of reproductive and sexual health care services at 18 health centers which serve more than 70,000 men and women each year in Connecticut and Rhode Island. An incredible staff of community educators reach tens of thousands of youth, parents, educators, and health care workers with vital information on health, relationships and sexually-transmitted infections. Whether the fight is in the headlines or the back rooms of the Capitol, PPSNE is there with a cadre of activists and strong coalitions giving life and voice to legislative and political initiatives.
The Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO) will develop a unifying vision for the external affairs for PPSNE, driving towards deeper engagement with patients, communities, donors, and supporters, and will design and execute the operational plan to realize that vision. The CEAO will manage a dynamic and passionate staff of 25 and oversee a multi-million dollar budget.
The CEAO will be a collaborative leader with a history of bringing people and projects together, who can build a “team of teams.” The CEAO will possess deep emotional intelligence and be an outstanding communicator.
This is an incredible opportunity for a transformative leader with a deep commitment to women’s health, reproductive freedom, and social justice to join a leading Planned Parenthood affiliate and help shape the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
Essential Job Functions
- Leads all external affairs activities including advocacy, government affairs, fundraising, externally-focused education and training, community relations and community leadership, communications, and marketing.
- Directs the organization’s efforts to achieve policy change that protects reproductive health and rights, including the associated strategic planning and coordination of advocacy activities.
- Leads the development of an agency-wide strategic vision for fundraising (both annual and special campaigns) including an active role in developing and cultivating funding sources and cultivating and maintaining donor relations.
- Promotes dynamic collaboration amongst all external affairs teams in PPSNE, including strengthening the alignment of goals and roles, fostering open communication, and deepening a culture of accountability.
- Provides leadership in the interaction, growth and development of the Boards of Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island, C4 advocacy and electoral ancillary organizations, as well as the Political Action Committee in each state.
- Directs external communications to donors, volunteers, clients, community partners, and staff. With a focus on developing a consistent message as well as the “voice of the agency,” oversees the development of materials including digital media, supporter communications, newsletters, donor materials, media, and external marketing materials.
- Works in close collaboration with the President and CEO to ensure successful delivery on fundraising goals and objectives. Supports the partnership between the Vice President of Development and the CEO.
- Deepens the culture of philanthropy throughout PPSNE, including partnering with all PPSNE departments to maximize opportunities for fund development and philanthropic engagement at all levels.
- Oversees annual client marketing campaign with monthly and quarterly measurements to ensure success of advertising campaigns. Tracks annual marketing outcomes on a quarterly basis. Works closely with Health Services executive leadership to coordinate annual goals.
- Oversees the development, strategies, and communication for external-facing sexual and health education programming including local, state, and federal partnerships, community collaborations, communications, public relations and support for successful programming.
- Ensures the success of new and existing external education programs, including new efforts focused on Maternal Health disparities and ongoing youth-focused educational programming.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization and/or directs local or agency spokesperson.
- Provides oversight of tracking of activities of the Connecticut and Rhode Island legislatures and administrations, and Congressional, local, state, and national governmental entities on issues of importance to Planned Parenthood including our public funding priorities.
- Provides leadership and consultation as a member of the executive leadership team, across the organization to identify and implement policies, procedures, actions, interventions, and tactics that advance our work and meet our strategic and operational goals.
- Produces timely and accurate reports to Planned Parenthood Federation of America and regulatory agencies.
- Represents the organization at meetings, PPFA conferences, community events, conferences, and fundraising, as appropriate.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
- Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of PPSNE
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the intersection with health and social justice
- Meaningful experience in public policy, government affairs, organizing, and/or fundraising
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong understanding of how to effectively support both internal and external customers
- Experience implementing transformative initiatives within a complex organization
- Demonstrated success in building interdepartmental team partnerships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree or legal degree or equivalent work experience required in one or more of the following areas: development, government relations, public policy, business administration, health care administration, organizational development
- Collaborative, values-driven leader
- Strategic thinker with an analytic bent
- Orientation toward outcomes and impact
- Strong team-building skills
- Entrepreneurial nature
- Life-long learner
- Relationship focused connector
- Culturally responsive
The CEAO is a member of the executive leadership team and reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer. The role is responsible for the full geography of PPSNE. The CEAO will divide their time as needed between CT and RI as needed.
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
The position is located in New Haven, Connecticut. Compensation is competitive. PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.