America Votes — Chief of Staff
America Votes works with over 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote.
Since 2003, America Votes has been the common link between many of the largest and most influential issue and membership organizations in the country, serving as the coordination hub of the progressive community. America Votes’ work has brought together a wide range of causes and built a unified coalition that has transformed how the progressive community works. Together, they have engaged communities across the country to take action on critical issues – from fighting for working families, to advancing women’s healthcare, to protecting the environment and more – and mobilized millions of voters to turn out on Election Day.
America Votes works year-round nationally and in more than 20 key states, acting as a permanent campaign to continually advance progressive causes. America Votes provides a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes also works to improve election systems and fight back against efforts to suppress voters, taking the lead throughout their state network to coordinate and execute advocacy campaigns with allies to reform elections and modernize the voting process.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states in 2020. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and their partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to win elections. In 2020, the America Votes coalition will deploy their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort which will target millions of voters in key states.
America Votes is seeking a talented leader to serve as Chief of Staff, helping guide the organization at a time of growth and opportunity.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for providing leadership, management, planning and enhancement of America Votes’ internal organizational systems, processes and infrastructure to help America Votes achieve its ambitious goals in 2020.
Partnering with the Managing Director, the Chief of Staff will help drive and execute the strategic vision of America Votes and manage the development, finance, human resources and compliance functions.
The Chief of Staff will help lead America Votes in its strategic planning, budget development and monitoring and ensure strong collaboration and communications among teams to drive program and maximize impact.
The ideal candidate will have experience growing an organization, working with high-performing teams, attracting and retaining diverse talent and improving processes and systems in a fast-paced environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a leader with strong operational and people management skills, a commitment to advancing racial equity and a proven track record of problem-solving to serve as a member of the senior leadership team at a high-impact organization that will play a critical role in the 2020 elections.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
- Support the President and Managing Director in setting goals and managing the organization to achieve its organizational priorities
- Play a key role in strategic planning, developing an inclusive process that engages the staff, board and partner organizations
- Ensure strong collaboration among staff to drive program and maximize impact
- Lead and manage the organization's human resources, finance, technology, and legal functions
- Evaluate, improve, and lead the organization’s budgeting process
- Advance America Votes’ commitment to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies
- Refine and maintain internal communications systems to ensure that staff have the information they need
- Play a substantive and leading role planning and executing the 2020 America Votes Summit
- Upgrade human resources operations including training, development, employee relations, and performance evaluation
- Organize weekly senior staff meetings to ensure strong internal coordination and alignment
- Ensure retention, development and growth of staff talent
- Plan yearly staff retreats to ensure coordination and alignment towards goals
- Manage a portfolio of key special projects
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of 10 years of related, progressively responsible work experience
- At least 3-5 years of organizational-level leadership experience in advocacy, campaigning or electoral context with a proven track record of supporting teams in achieving priorities
- Deep understanding of and commitment to racial equity and implementation of equitable practices and culture
- Financial acumen and experience developing and managing budgets
- Experience working across an organization to achieve complex goals
- Strong people and project management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and excellent judgment
- Deeply organized, reliable and highly attentive to detail
- Outstanding listening, interpersonal, communication, time management and problem-solving skills
- Collaborative leadership style with an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree desirable
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Spirit of service and a sense of humor preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience, $125,000-$145,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401(K).
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online at https://grossmanheinz.com/jobs/. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.